Why does Central Bedfordshire Council require Independent Scrutiny?
- Wasteful spending as typified by the 'Welcome to Central Bedfordshire' Signs - the government requires authorities to publish all expenditure over £500. Visit the Central Beds Website to find out more.
- The rationale behind the Chicksands offices was that operations would be centralised to save money; the authority now also operates from Dunstable and Technology House in Bedford. The BBC reported on the level of Central Bedfordshire Travel Expences and the Cost of Branding Central Bedfordshire Council
- The creation of the two unitary authorities of Central Beds & Bedford Borough Council in Bedfordshire was a monumental mistake. Where are the shared services? Where are the savings? (Typified by two overpaid chief executives, two sets of highly-paid directors etc). Visit the Central Beds Council Website for details of the Corporate Teams Salaries and Assistant Directors Salaries
- 2% cut in councillor allowances, which really isn't a big deal when you consider at the council's inception councillors ignored independent advice on their level of allowances and awarded themselves considerably more than that recommendation. Visit the Central Bedfordshire Website to view the Independent Recommendations on Councillors Allowance 2009/2010 and the Executives Decision on Councillors Allowances 2009/2010. Indeed recommendations by the independent committee were further ignored in 2011. So what is the point of appointing such a committee if you are constantly going to ignore their recommendations.
- The savage cuts that have resulted following the coalition government's spending review that will year on year threaten council services. The most vulnerable need to be protected
For these and other reasons Ampthill needed an Independent councillor who will diligently scrutinise and keep a check on the excesses of a complacent authority